John Finnigan was the son of Patrick and Lizzie Finnigan. He was born about 1888, the oldest of four known children, all born in the Caledon area. His father was a labourer. John became a servant and labourer. He was married in August 1912. He and Annie had two children. Lance Corporal John Finnigan was serving with the 7th Battalion of the Leinster Regiment when he was killed in action on 27th June 1916 in France. In his will, John left all to his wife Annie, who was living in Church Street, Caledon.
From the National Road (N43 Lens-Bethune), turn onto the D165 towards Loos-en-Gohelle following signs for Wingles and La Bassee. Before reaching Loos-en-Gohelle village square turn left then first left again. The cemetery is located in the street; 'Rue Alexandre Maniez'. St. Patrick's Cemetery was begun during the Battle of Loos by French and British troops, and used in 1916 very largely by the units of the 16th (Irish) Division.