Friends of the Somme - Mid Ulster Branch
ff
Location
Region : Loos-en-Gohelle, Pas-de-Calais, France
Latitude : 50.460901
Lontitude : 2.771757
CWGC Link : 79500
Loos-en-Gohelle is a village 5 kilometres north-west of Lens, and Dud Corner Cemetery is located about 1 kilometre west of the village, to the north-east of the N943, the main Lens to Bethune road.

View Full Screen in Google Maps
Dungannon Casualties
No     Rank Name Service No Regiment / Service Date Of Death Grave Ref
1 Pte. Lavelle, John 12874 Highland Light Regiment 25/09/1915 Panel 108-112
2 Sapper McCall, Joseph 86132 Royal Engineers 15/10/1916 Panel 4-5
3 Portrait Pte. McCluskey, Thomas 2730 Connaught Rangers 03/02/1916 Panel 124
4 Pte. McGee, Patrick 7876 Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) 25/09/1915 Panel 57-59
5 Pte. Weir, John 9596 Royal Dublin Fusiliers 29/04/1916 Panel 127-129
Cemetery History
Dud Corner Cemetery stands almost on the site of a German strong point, the Lens Road Redoubt, captured by the 15th (Scottish) Division on the first day of the battle. The name "Dud Corner" is believed to be due to the large number of unexploded enemy shells found in the neighbourhood after the Armistice.
The Loos Memorial commemorates over 20,000 officers and men who have no known grave, who fell in the area from the River Lys to the old southern boundary of the First Army, east and west of Grenay.
On either side of the cemetery is a wall 15 feet high, to which are fixed tablets on which are carved the names of those commemorated. At the back are four small circular courts, open to the sky, in which the lines of tablets are continued, and between these courts are three semicircular walls or apses, two of which carry tablets, while on the centre apse is erected the Cross of Sacrifice. The memorial was designed by Sir Herbert Baker with sculpture by Charles Wheeler. It was unveiled by Sir Nevil Macready on 4 August 1930.